Our vision is to be the
- Centre of excellence in digital curation and preservation in the UK
- Authoritative source of advocacy and expert advice and guidance to the community
- Key facilitator of an informed research community with established collaborative networks of digital curators
- Service provider of a wide range of resources, software, tools and support services
- Multimedia/Bibliographic Databases (Sitesearch)
- Electronic Facsimile Text (Pageturner/EFacs)
- Encoded E-Text (TEI)
- EFacs v. Encoded E–Text
- How does the Brown University Library define a digital project?
- What kind of materials go into digital projects?
- Why should I consider a digital project?
- Who works on digital projects -- Who has what responsibility
- What about standards?
- What kinds of services can the library provide?
- Digitization of most formats, including audio, video, print, image and slides.
- Provision of enhanced access to your objects through the creation of rich metadata records.
- Creation of class logins and folders in Luna Insight (image collections).
- Production (in conjunction with CIS) of audio reserve materials using Brown EARS.
- Encoding of textual objects using the Text Encoding Intiative.
- Repository services for faculty and departmental digital objects.
- Consultative services related to any of the above.
- How is all this work supported
- I have a project in mind, where do I begin?
Links in top bar:
(a) featured collections (arabic & persian mss, campaign archives);
(b) browse (titles, subjects, format, repositories);
(c) search and find (search, browse)
(d) thematic collections (ophthalmology, newspaper, children's book)
(e) project and collaborations (metadata exchange using OAI, sheet music consortium)
- Production of digital materials for use in scholarship and teaching at Brown.
- Digitization of "signature collections" from Brown's world renowned Special Collections.
- Consultative services for Library and academic units undertaking digital projects.
- Project Planning for help with grant-writing, financial planning, copyright research, technical planning and so on
- Digital Media and Image Center (DMIC) for digitization of images, audio and video
- Electronic Text Development Center (ETDC) for digitization and encoding of text
- Metadata Services for help with creation and mapping of metadata
- Interface Design & Usability Services for wireframing, prototyping, design and usability assessment